Location: Edith Cavell Memorial, St. Martin’s Place, London
Artist: Sir George Frampton
Edith Cavell (1865-1915) was a British nurse based with the Red Cross in occupied Belgium. She treated both armies, but helped hundreds of Allied soldiers escape to the Netherlands. She was arrested in 1915 on the charge of harbouring prisoners of war where she confessed in full to her crimes and executed by a firing squad. Her death quickly became the subject of Allied propaganda worldwide, becoming the most prominent female casualty of the Great War.
The 3 meter high sculpture was designed by architect Sir George Frampton and was unveiled by Queen Alexandra on 17 March 1920 in St Martin’s Place, London. Architect Frampton was criticised for its ‘modernity’ of style as the female figure completes a cross form; she is not a Madonna and Christ child, but rather a mother protecting a female child. Frampton was known for a symbolist style, often executing figures in a dream-like state; making him a central judge in the selection of official war artists and memorials.