Location: The Royal Exchange Building, Pitt Street, Sydney
Artist: James White
The Royal Exchange Building is considered one of the oldest and most respected institutions in the state of NSW. Built on land that originally housed the Sydney stock and wool exchange, this contemporary building features the Lady of Commerce statue that dates back to 1899.
It was sculpted by James White (1861-1918), and is unarguably unnoticed by pedestrians due to its eccentric beauty. Standing on a pedestal which reads “56 Pitt Street”, the statue reflects the very essence of the building where it was positioned. The Royal Exchange today continues its tradition as a place for like-minded business people to meet, interact and facilitate the ‘exchange’ of business with one another.