Harbour Bridge, Opera House, beaches and foodie heaven found on most streets, creates a cocktail that offers tourists many reasons to love Sydney. The city is also known for its wide variety of public art, erected in large public parks, main streets, and hidden within the corners of massive buildings. With well over 200 statues, it is a shock to find only 6% of public statues are female.
CURRENTLY IN SYDNEY THERE ARE OVER 200 STATUES AND 6% ARE WOMEN
Current Statues of Women in Sydney
Standing 3 meters high, this bronze statue depicts Queen Victoria seated on a sandstone throne, atop a tall triangular sandstone pedestal. Sculptor John Hughes (1865-1941), was born in Dublin where the statue was originally located. The statue was installed outside the front of the Queen Victoria Building during restorations in the 1980s. She is seated in a low chair rather than an elaborate throne, allowing the artist to contain the figure within a sphere rather than as a towering pillar. Victoria (Alexandrina Victoria; 1819-1901), was Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland from 1837 until her death. The statue provides a focal point for the Queen Victoria Square and also serves as a meeting place.
Pioneer Women's Memorial
The Pioneer Women’s Memorial was designed and constructed by sculptor Alex Kolozsy, who migrated from Holland to Australia and in 1964 became an Australian citizen. The memorial was commissioned by the Women’s Pioneer Society of Australasia as part of Australia’s bicentenary celebrations, and was unveiled on 19 November, 1988 by Lady Rowland – the spouse of the Governor of New South Wales at the time. The bronze sculpture is 3.5 meters tall, and depicts a woman carrying a baby in her left arm while pulling a young child alongside her on the right. It honours and acknowledges the contribution of women to the colonisation of Australia.
The Lady of Commerce
The Royal Exchange Building is considered one of the oldest and most respected institutions in the state of NSW. Built on land that originally housed the Sydney stock and wool exchange, this contemporary building features the Lady of Commerce statue that dates back to 1899. It was sculpted by James White (1861-1918), and is unarguably unnoticed by pedestrians due to its eccentric beauty. Standing on a pedestal which reads “56 Pitt Street”, the statue reflects the very essence of the building where it was positioned. The Royal Exchange today continues its tradition as a place for like-minded business people to meet, interact and facilitate the ‘exchange’ of business with one another.